Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 29 (Ephesians 5:1)

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.  (ESV)

I love the simplicity and straightforwardness of the Christian faith.  It is for freedom that Jesus set us free.  When you read those words, you may be tempted to say, “Well, duh!  What else would freedom be for?”

Strangely, though, many of us who have been set free by Jesus continue to enslave ourselves.  Does any of this sound familiar?  “I need to keep up a good act.  If they ever knew the real me, it would all be over.”  “I have to do this and this and this and then I have to go there to do that so I can get back here for that other thing.”  “I just have to hope this works out or I am ruined and then I don’t know what I’ll do.”

That does not sound like freedom to me.  Unfortunately, it does sound like me.  How would your daily thoughts, and therefore your daily actions, be different if you actually lived as if you were free?  In other words, how would your life be different if you believed the Bible as you claim to do?

Father, it is a daily choice for me to live in the freedom that Jesus provided or in the slavery of the world and my own thoughts.  May the Holy Spirit grant me the strength to choose the freedom bought for me at Calvary.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.