Sunday, April 5, 2015

April 5 (Matthew 28:6)

He is not here, for he has risen.  (ESV)

Many people have been brought back from death, especially in a time of advanced medical knowledge.  Only one raised Himself.  Note the language in this simple announcement of the angel to the women at the tomb of Jesus.  The angel did not say, “He has been raised.”  This would have implied that someone else did the raising. 

Pause.  That is a sobering thought.  Jesus was not raised.  He rose.  You rise when you get up out of your chair, but you do this because you are already alive.  Jesus was dead, and yet He rose.  He died because He was human.  He rose because He is God.

Jesus never shouted it, but everything He did and said pointed to the truth that He is God.  Easter is not about celebrating the life of a good man.  It is about acknowledging the truth.  The One with Whom we live as brother and friend, because He invited us to do so, is the living God of the universe.

Jesus, I praise You!  You are my God, my life, and my friend!  May every day of my life be one of praise to You!  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

1 comment:

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.