Sunday, October 4, 2015

Seeing As Jesus Sees (2 in a series of 4)

October 4 (Isaiah 31:1, 3)


Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the Lord!  Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit.  (KJV)


I want to get things done.  When I have a task in front of me, I just want to get it done now.  Right now.  I also have numerous broken items around our house showing the wisdom of that approach.  This is what happens when I rely solely on my own understanding and strength to accomplish things.

In last week’s devotion we saw it was a mistake to think that people who do not follow Christ will live as if they do.  It is equally a mistake to think that problems can be solved by purely human means.  For some of us, the only tools in our box are political efforts, financial resources, and government programs.  These are certainly good tools and can be used to accomplish much, but if these are the only tools we have, then we will never solve the problems that matter most.

Not a day goes by when we do not read about this or that effort to address this or that problem.  We must look at all proposed solutions to see if they are really just a trip to Egypt, a trusting in men and horses rather than in God.  If the solutions we are considering are purely human, they will have a short-lived effect at best.  If they are rooted in God’s strength and wisdom, they are guaranteed to produce the only kind of effects we truly want.

I read too much news, Jesus.  I get far too caught up in the ideas and plans of people.  Keep me grounded in You and Your word so that I may first of all discern clearly Your will and then be able to evaluate truly the solutions to the problems around me.  In Your name I pray, amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.