Sunday, September 27, 2015

Seeing As Jesus Sees (1 in a series of 4)

September 27 (Ephesians 4:18)


They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.  (ESV)


When I was in fifth grade, I got glasses for the first time.  In those early, bespectacled days, I marveled at leaves on trees and all the other details of the world I could now see…and my parents were mortified.  Why had I not told them I could not see those things?  My answer was simple.  I had assumed everyone saw the world the way I did.

We often make the same mistaken assumption.  We are frustrated, angry even, when people around us do not live Christian lives.  Setting aside the whole speck in someone else’s eye issue, does it ever occur to us that the people behaving in unchristian ways may not be followers of Christ?  Paul makes it clear that there are many people who are separated from God.   They do not understand the truth about life.  Their hearts are hard and their minds are dark.

If we saw a man stumbling down the road, blind drunk, would we fault him for not making an Olympic time in the 800 meter race?  We would, hopefully, show him what he could do, explain what it would take to get there, and then help him accomplish it.

Father, thank You for helping me see the truth of life by the grace of the Holy Spirit.  When I see that someone is not living in You, help me not to write that person off because of his or her sin.  Help me to see that person clearly and do what I can to lead him or her to Jesus.  Amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.