Sunday, September 6, 2015

When a Christian Sins

September 6 (1 John 2:1)


My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  (ESV)


I get it.  I am not supposed to sin.  I should not even want to sin.  Oh, but I do.  There are times when it just happens, almost without my thinking, and there other times when I am well aware of what I should do, but deliberately do the opposite.  What then?  My friends may not like me if they knew.  People who look up to me may look at me with less admiration.  What if I lose the opportunity to serve God as I really want to because people think I am not good enough when they learn the truth about me?

I am willing to be that some, or all, of those concerns sound familiar.  I hear that nagging voice of doubt almost every day.  Guess what?  That nagging voice can take a hike.  We have an advocate, one who will plead our case before God Himself.  Now, that is a pretty good deal right there, but wait, as they say on the infomercials, there’s more!  That advocate is none other than Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the second person of the Holy Trinity, the one true God Who walked the earth as a human and willingly died for me because He loves me just that much.

Do we really grasp that?  Jesus Christ defends us before God when we sin.  Naturally we should not make a habit of it, but when it does happen, Jesus has our backs.  As our pastor recently said, confess, repent, and get on with your life.


Jesus, thank You so much for the grace of Your forgiveness.  Thank You for Your love that heals and restores and catches me when I fall.  Help me to live from a place of confidence in Who You are and all that You have done and continue to do for me.  Amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.