Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Public Life of a Christian

September 20 (Matthew 5:14-15)


You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  (ESV)


You cannot be a Clark Kent Christian.  Clark Kent is the secret identity of Superman.  Christians do not have secret identities. They must live their lives outside, in full view of everyone.  It just is not possible to be a Christian at home, but not in the workplace.

Ouch.  Talk about uncomfortable.  We are living in an age in which it seems as if everyone wants people to keep matters of faith to themselves.  We can post amusing selfies all over Facebook, but watch yourself lose friends if you post a biblical conviction.

When you read these verses from the Sermon on the Mount, do not interpret them in the light of the present day.  Do not see them in terms of how this or that person has seen them.  Understand them in terms of the rest of Scripture.  Listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit.  What does it mean for you to live out these verses in the context of your life?  God knows, and He will guide you.

Father, I confess two things.  I would love to shine a brighter light than I do and I am terrified to do so.  Help me see clearly what You would have me to do and say among my friends, family, and coworkers.  In all things, may I represent You.  In the name of Jesus, Who took all the abuse of the world to the cross for me, amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.