Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Call and The Calling of Jesus

September 13 (Matthew 4:18-19)


While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen.  And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will  make you fishers of men.”  (ESV)


Jesus calls ordinary people to follow Him, and He calls them to use their natural gifts in new ways.  Satan would love to have us think that we are not good enough and that God will therefore not use us.  As is so often the case with the great deceiver, a half-truth seems entirely true.  It is true we are not good enough, but it is not true that God will not use us.

We do not have to worry about being good enough for God.  Jesus took care of that.  His blood washed us clean of our sins.  In His eyes, we are indeed now good enough, and as a result, He will call the plumber, the teacher, the senator, the scientist, the custodian, the artist, and the business executive to follow Him.

One of the great things about God is that He will not waste anything.  He will use the special gifts of each and every one of us in His kingdom.  What did He tell fishermen?  He said they will fish for men.  What do you do that you are really good at?  What is that thing that is as natural to you as breathing?  God will use that very thing, and other gifts you may yet discover, to build His kingdom on earth.

Father, thank You for calling me through Jesus.  Help me not buy into the lies of the enemy that would make me think I have no role to play in Your kingdom.  I want to use all that You have given me to serve You and bless those around me.  In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray.  Amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.