Sunday, February 21, 2016

God Loves You No Matter What You Think

February 21 (Romans 8:38-39)


And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.   No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (NLT)


God will not love me when I screw up again.  Yes, He will and He does.  God will not love me when I doubt His love.  Yes, He will and He does.  God will not love me if I am not reading my Bible as I should or am too tired to participate in that ministry at church.  Yes, He will and He does.  God does not love me because He allowed tragedy to strike my loved ones and me.  Yes, He does.  God does not love me because I hate him for not saving me from that deep wound that has wrecked my life.  Yes, He does.  God does not love me because there is no god.  Yes, He does.

These words that Paul wrote the Christians in Rome are among the most powerful that God ever put into the mind of any person to write.  His love is dependent on absolutely nothing.  It does not even depend on whether we believe He exists, although Satan would have us believe otherwise.  Our enemy will play on our fears, appeal to fallen human reasoning, and bring up our hurts and our wounds over and over again.  He will do anything he can every moment of every day to convince us that God does not love us.

I should know.  There is more evidence of God’s love in my life than I could list, but still that nagging thought returns.  God will not love me if….  Friends, when you are facing the darkness and everything…everything…in your physical senses, your emotions, and your intellect tells you that God does not love you, take your stand and proclaim these verses.  Whether you believe it in that moment or not, God does love you.


Father, I need to feel Your love right now.  I need to feel You close beside me.  In those dark moments when You seem so far away, turn my heart and my mind back to Your loving face through the words of Scripture and the sweet whisper of the Holy Spirit.  I know Your love is real because Jesus proved it with His life, and so it is in His name I ask this.  Amen.  




Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.