Sunday, February 28, 2016

When We Lose Sight of Jesus

February 28 (John 15:5)


I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  (ESV)


Hundreds of people packed the gymnasium as teams from five states competed in a regional basketball tournament.  Our son was playing, but I had quickly given up trying to keep an eye on him as he hung out with his team either practicing or watching various games.  Instead I stayed close to my wife and daughter and several other families as we waited for our son to play.

And then it happened.  Our son’s team was about to take the court, families started moving toward the bleachers, and I lost sight of my wife.  I scanned the crowd, but could not find her.  I stepped out onto the court and looked every which way, and in that moment this verse flashed through my mind.  Would I feel so helpless if I could not find God?

How much of the time do we blunder and bluster our way through life without keeping our eye on Jesus?  Does a quick rush of panic run through us when we realize we have gotten ahead of Him and cannot see Him?  It should.  We should walk each day as if we were children, hand in hand with Jesus and scared the very minute we have separated from Him.  Can we humble ourselves enough to believe that what Jesus said in John 15:5 is true?

Lord, I remember times of walking so closely with You.  I remember what it felt like to follow hard in Your steps.  I also know what it is like to run breathlessly after my own plans, unaware that I have separated myself from You.  Help me to hear Your soft voice, to move when You move, to be still when You are still.  And when I stray, draw me ever back to You.  Amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.