Sunday, April 23, 2017

Keeping Your Faith

April 23 (Isaiah 7:9)
If you are not firm in faith, you will not be firm at all.  (ESV)


One thing I have learned in a lifetime of walking in the Christian faith is that it is a daily thing.  Jesus was right (no surprise there!) when He said that we must take up our cross daily if we are to follow Him (Luke 9:23).  Day in and day out, sunny or raining, when you are happy and when you are bored out of your mind, when you feel on top of the world and when you are under the weather.  All.  The.  Time.

You will not always feel like being a Christian.  There will even be times when you slip back and behave as if you had never even heard of Jesus.  You will question the Lord’s love for you and perhaps even His existence.  These are the times that faith comes in.  We cling to faith when our fingers are too weak to cling to anything else.  We stand on our faith even when we look down and see nothing.  We proclaim our faith to drown out the voices, including our own, of unbelief.

You will fail to do all that God has required.  You will do the very things He has forbidden.  And yes, these will happen even after you have been baptized and confessed Him before all the world.  Yet if you are firm in faith, you will grow firm in your other weaknesses.


Jesus, today seems like just one more in an endless string that stretches behind and in front of me.  I have questions about so many things and answers to almost none of them.  Keep me strong in my faith, which is in You.  May I not waver or falter in that faith, for it is what keeps me anchored to You, my strength and my redeemer.  Amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.