Sunday, April 2, 2017

Serving When Frustrated

April 2 (1 Samuel 12:23)


Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way.  (ESV)


Samuel had every right to be angry with Israel and he was.  He had faithfully delivered the words of God so that the people would know right from wrong, but they had demanded to have a king rule over them.  God Himself was frustrated and told Samuel to give the people what they wanted since they wouldn’t listen to Him.

For me this is where the story would end.  I tend to get stuck in my anger and frustration with people who won’t listen or do what is right.  Yet note Samuel’s final comment.  He will continue to pray for his foolish people.  He will continue to teach those who will not learn.  Why?  Because this is what God wants of him.  Whether or not the people listen and obey is on them.  He must serve the Lord according to his calling.

It is easy to get frustrated when our attempts to share the gospel or to be the hands and feet of Jesus seem to bear no fruit with family and friends.  And, if we truly care about the people we love, we will indeed become angry when they make poor decisions or turn a deaf ear to wisdom.  Keep praying anyhow.  Keep speaking the truth in love.  Keep serving.  Do not abandon the role and the field to which God has called you.  Your friends and family must answer for themselves, and so must you.


Lord, help me to dig a bit deeper and find my strength in You.  Help me to continue honoring You, day in and day out, by doing those things to which You have called me.  May I not look for success in earthly terms, but with regard to the only measuring stick that matters, faithfulness.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, Who was faithful all the way to the cross, amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.