Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 10 (Ezra 3:2)

…as it is written in the law of Moses the man of God. (KJV)

At the beginning of the movie Gladiator, Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius speculates with his most trusted general about how the world will remember his name. Will he be known as the philosopher, the warrior, or possibly even the tyrant? Most of us do not ask that question, but it is good to consider. If you were to die today, how would you be remembered? Would it be for things that you had done, words you had said, relationships you had developed? Would it be for things you had owned? Most importantly, do you like the thought of the answer?

The verse for today is almost a throw away. It comes in a passage about building an altar to God and is not really about Moses at all. Yet the words jump out at us…Moses the man of God. Replace the name of Moses with your own. What phrase would most likely follow it? What would it take for you to be known as a man or woman of God?

Gracious heavenly Father, I know that we do not live for titles or to honored by others. Still, I would like to be known the way Moses was, not for the glory, but because I want my life to be so completely focused on You. Help me to weed out what is unimportant and distracting in my life and turn my eyes completely on Jesus, my Lord. It is in His name I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.