Sunday, April 1, 2012

April 1 (Matthew 10:31)

Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. (KJV)

God does not owe me an explanation for anything. He certainly does not owe me an explanation when He gives me a command, and it is for this reason that I find the fourth word in the verse for today one of the most wonderful expressions of love.

No, you did not miscount which I word I meant. I meant the humble conjunction “therefore.” Immediately prior to the command not to fear, Jesus had given a simple illustration and used it as the basis for an easy piece of logic. Sparrows are cheap, He had said. Our Father knows when even a sparrow falls to the ground. Do not fear, therefore, for we are worth more than many sparrows. Jesus could have given the command not to fear with no further illustration or line of reasoning. Yet He chose to put everything in perspective. He chose to show us how the reason not to be afraid flows logically from the natural order of things.

Years ago, my wife and I led a student trip to Italy. It was our first time to go, and I was quite comforted when a security guard at the airport in Rome spoke English to us. As I reflected later, and shared with my students, it was quite an honor to see my language on bilingual signs and to hear my language being spoken. I myself had done nothing to deserve such respect. Who, then, am I that God should explain His reasoning to me? According to Jesus, I am someone worth more than many sparrows.

Father, forgive me when I demand signs and proof upon proof before following Your commands. You so graciously have set forth Your will for me. May I, with the simplicity of a bird, live as You have called me. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.