Sunday, April 22, 2012

April 22 (Psalm 119)

If you want the text for this week’s devotion, you will need to look it up in your Bible.  It just is not practical list all one hundred seventy-six verses here.

Seriously, read the entire psalm.  Read it in one sitting, start to end, without stopping.  Let the force of it carry you away.  This is the song of a person running hard after the heart of God.  It is the cry of one who truly wants to know Him better and to serve Him more faithfully.  It is the plea of one who feels pain at the injustice and immorality around him.  Let the powerful sweep of this poem wash over you.

Does it describe you?  If so, then draw the same comfort from the words and promises of God that the psalmist drew.  If not, then take heart and take steps.  When we cry out to God, He hears us.  Even when we are not faithful, even when we stray from the path He has set before us, He hears us.  He has also given us His word, which you hold in your hands.  If you want to draw closer to Him, it is as simple as picking it up and beginning to read.

Lord, my heart does indeed long for You.  Draw me closer.  Fill my heart that I may walk in Your ways.  Keep distractions from me.  Help me to put my focus on You.  In the name of Jesus, Who kept His eyes fixed on You even while on the cross, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.