Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 10 (Philippians 2:6-7)

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. (NIV)

General relativity and quantum mechanics are two of the most successful theories in physics. Their accuracy for describing the created order is unparalleled. The bad news is that these two theories do not work well together. General relativity is great when it comes to describing the universe, but it falls apart at the subatomic level. If you want to understand atoms, you need quantum mechanics, which is utterly useless when looking at outer space.

As scientists continue to search for a theory that would unify the very large and the very small, we can note that this unification has in fact already happened. No one can conceive the true vastness of God. The far-flung galaxies and the broad sweep of the universe are smaller than He. Yet the immensity of God entered into creation, becoming human in Christ Jesus. He diminished Himself still further by becoming not a human king, but a human servant, and one who died the death of a criminal at that.

This grand unification of glory and obscurity served one purpose, to restore you to a loving relationship with God. Is there any reason this would not prompt your undying allegiance, faithfulness, and service to Him every single day of your life?

Father, I tremble at what You have done for me. I am not worthy in the least that even one iota of Your glory should have been diminished. That You would suffer for me is more than I can bear. May my life bear witness in all that I do, say, and think to the incomparable gift that is the life, death, and resurrection of my Lord, Jesus. In His name I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.