Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 24 (James 1:17)

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  (NIV)

I go to church and sing songs of praise.  I get frustrated with a project at home and blow my stack.  I am sweet and loving to our children.  I descend into dark places of worry about my job.  I give to those in need.  I waste money on junk I do not need.  In short, I am a mixed bag of good and bad.  I try my best, but come up short.  In this regard, I am completely unlike God.

God does not change.  Think about that for a moment.  The God we worship as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is the same God who created the universe before human beings existed.  The God Who loves you when you do His will perfectly is the same God Who loves you when you commit the most heinous of sins.

It is His faithfulness, not ours, that transforms us and makes us holy.  Yes, we must strive to be like Him, but when that striving is from our own strength, it will fall short.  Neither you nor I have it in us, and it does not matter how much Scripture we have memorized, how many ministries we have served, or how much time we spend in church.  What a relief that is to know!

Father, I so much want to be like Jesus, perfectly loving, in humble submission to You, and serving Your will in all that I do.  You and I both know how far away from that goal I really am.  Thank You for Your unfailing love and grace.  Continue Your good work in me, I pray.  In the name of Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.