Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17 (John 5:19)

I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. (NIV)

It is natural for children to imitate their parents, and for this reason, there is a huge burden and responsibility on parents to live their lives in a worthy manner. Like it or not, our children will do what we do.

No matter the relationship you have with your earthly parents, as you grow and mature in the Christian faith, you come to see that there is only one Whom you must imitate, your heavenly Father. Jesus Himself claimed that He did only what He had seen His Father doing.

So what have you seen your Father in heaven doing? What things has He done in your life? If you are not sure, then look to the pages of the Bible. They are filled with stories of His guidance, provision, love, power, grace, mercy, forgiveness, creativity...the list goes on and on. How can you be like Him?

Father, I want to be like you, for You created me in Your image. What part of Your life, Your work have You called me to? Grant me the grace and strength to grow in You so that, just as it was with Jesus, others can see You when they see me. In the name of Jesus, Who reflected You perfectly, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.