Monday, April 15, 2013

April 14 (Matthew 10:29)


Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. (NIV)
I was reminded of this verse twice in less than twenty-four hours. Our daughter, who is eight, called our attention to a sparrow sitting in the road in front of our house. Not hopping or fluttering its wings, it seemed wounded, and she wanted us to help. I put on some gloves and carried it to the woods behind our house, where it eventually took flight. On the way, our daughter walked closely beside me, and I shared this verse with her as we asked Jesus to care for the little bird He had made.
The next day I arrived early at the school where I teach to get some paperwork done. A student met me at the door, however, and I could quickly see the paperwork would have to wait as she poured out the latest details in the tragedy that is her life. This is no teenage drama. She lives in poverty and violence, and they are taking their toll. How could I attend to something as unimportant as paperwork when another of God’s sparrows stood before me with a broken wing?
Take heart, then, for as Jesus went on to say, we are worth many sparrows. Your Father cares for and loves you more than you realize. He really does. From the overflow of that love, for He will always lavish you with it, reach out to his other children, who are also worth more than many sparrows. He loves them, too.
Father, keep my eyes open for those who need to feel Your love through me. Show me how to help those who are wounded. In all things, thank You for loving me. In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.