Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 28 (2 Timothy 4:5)

But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an 
evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.  (NIV)

You and I have a ministry.  You may work in an office, work out of your home, or work on the line.  You may be self employed or working for the man every night and day.  Whatever your job is, it is also field of your ministry, and the work of that ministry is ultimately evangelism.

Whoa, Nelly!  Evangelism?  Yes, evangelism, which is simply and literally sharing the good news of Jesus.  Evangelism is work, though.  It is hard work.  You may lose friends over it.  You may lose your job.  You will not, however, lose your ministry.

Paul was not giving advice to his young friend Timothy here.  He was giving him the speech generals have given warriors throughout history.  Since all Scripture is inspired by God, hear Paul saying these words to you.  Either get in the game, get back in the game, or stay in the game.  Whatever your situation is, God, through Paul, is speaking to you.

Father, I hear what You are saying, and rather than lay before You all my fears and objections, I am simply going to say, "Yes, Lord."  Deep in my heart, this is what I really want to do anyhow.  I ask only for the strength and grace to do it.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.
 
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.