Sunday, September 1, 2013

September 1 (Matthew 11:2-3)

Now when John heard in prison about the deeds of the Christ, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?”  (ESV)

If you read these verses in isolation, they may not strike you as curious, but if you read Matthew straight through, then they seem quite strange.  Just a few chapters before in Matthew 3, we see John baptizing Jesus.  John was a witness to the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus in the form of a dove.  He was there when God the Father spoke and acknowledged Jesus as His beloved Son.  And don’t forget that John is His cousin.  What is going on here?

Doubt is one of the most common things to afflict followers of Jesus.  We may say to all our church friends that we have this great, unshakable faith, but remember that Peter, too, said he would never betray Jesus, and look how that turned out.  We all have our doubts.  I do, and so do you.  It is a natural condition of the fallen world.  You are not less of a Christian when a doubt springs to your mind.

So what do you do?  Jesus offers Himself, even to our doubts.  Remember how He responded to Thomas.  He offered His wounds for him to touch.  Even in your doubt, go to Jesus.  Take your doubts to Him, even if you doubt He is there at all.  He will always offer Himself to you.

Jesus, I am embarrassed to say that there are so many things that cause me to doubt You.  Fear, sin, pressure, stress…pretty much anything, really.  Come to me again and restore my faith.  Let me see You.  I need You today.  Amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.