Sunday, September 8, 2013

September 8 (Matthew 11:4-5)

And Jesus answered them, “Go and tell John what you hear and see:  the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.”  (ESV)

When the disciples of John the Baptist ask Jesus whether He is indeed the Messiah, Jesus does not respond with “yes” or “no” to this “yes” or “no” question.  He could have, of course.  The simplest thing would have been to say, “Yes, I am the Messiah,” and then to have gone on about His business.  Instead Jesus took this as an opportunity to help John and his disciples grow.

How many times do we ask God to give us an answer to a question only to be answered with what seems like silence?  We wonder why God cannot or will not just give us a straight response.  Consider, though, that God gave us eyes with which to see, minds with which to think, and hearts with which to understand deeply.  Why would He ignore all those gifts with simple, cheap answers?  Oh, that may be what we want, a quick answer, but God loves us more than that.  He wants us to grow and develop the gifts of discernment and wisdom He has given us.  Sometimes this means getting us to see things for ourselves.

What questions do you have for God?  Are they about major events in the world or about things more personal, more particular to you?  Ask them with confidence that God hears and will answer.  Then be on the lookout with all the senses and gifts He has given you to perceive the answer.
Lord, there are times when I buy into the lie of the enemy that You are not listening or do not want to answer my questions.  When that lie comes into my thoughts, help me to fight it by turning to the gifts You have given me.  Help me grow in my ability to see as You see, to hear as You hear, and to think as You think.  In the name of Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.