Sunday, September 22, 2013

September 22 (2 Kings 22:11)

When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes.  (ESV)

When the Scriptures were discovered and brought to Josiah, King of Judah, he had an interesting reaction.  He tore his clothes, which was a sign of repentance.  He did not mull things over.  He did not ask for second opinions.  He did try to rationalize his way out of what he heard.  He took the word of God seriously and responded immediately.

I would like to say that is my reaction whenever I read the Bible, but if I said that, you would know I was lying.  We may think about a difficult passage, promising God and ourselves we will do something with it when we have figured it out, but….  Yeah, right.  We may try to find a commentary that reads it in a different way to let us off the hook.  We may tell ourselves that the passage only applied to people back in biblical times, but not to us today.

Josiah sets us with a challenge.  Do we dare to respond immediately to what we read?  Do we have the courage, the good, old-fashioned guts to take the Bible at face value and do what it says without question?  It is a challenge I would like to try.
Lord, Your word convicts, guides, and instructs me.  It is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.  Give me the courage to follow it rather than my own darkened reason.  In the name of Jesus, the Word made flesh and the true light in our darkness, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.