Sunday, December 28, 2014

December 28 (Matthew 1:13)

Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.”  (ESV)

There was the joy of that miraculous night.  There was the star, the wise men, and the love that all new parents know, a love that shuts out everything else as the world contracts to the one tiny baby in front of you. Then the rest of the world came crashing in upon them.  Someone was trying to kill their baby.  Joseph did not have time to savor the moments surrounding the birth of Jesus.  He had to get down to the work of being a father.  He had to protect his wife and baby boy.

Christmas is over now.  Many people are still on vacation.  We need this time every year to celebrate the birth of our Lord and to be reminded of the miraculous gift of God.  Yet our great enemy is still trying to destroy Him.  Of course, he cannot hurt Jesus directly, but he attacks his followers.  The next verse says that Joseph did not even wait until morning, but escaped with Mary and Jesus to Egypt in the middle of the night.  I hope always to be so on guard that I answer God’s call the moment it comes.

Lord, keep me focused on the truth about Christmas after the lights have been put away.  Make me quick to serve others in the name of Jesus, Whom we have all celebrated.  May I give no thought to my own safety, but only to the Your call.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.