Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 7 (Luke 2:11)

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  (ESV)

Bear with me for a moment.  I am going to reference a song by Led Zeppelin.  In 1970 Led Zeppelin recorded what has become the most famous version of a centuries-old tale.  In their version of the song called “Gallows Pole,” friends and family bring gifts to the hangman to save a beloved young man.  The hangman takes all the gifts, but in the final verse laughs as he prepares to hang the young man anyway.

Every human being who draws a breath is under a sentence of death.  We are born with a sin nature, and given the opportunity, we will live up to that nature every time.  As a result, we are separated from the pure perfection of God.  We deserve to die, and there is nothing we can give God, not gold or silver or good works, that can save us.

Enter Jesus.  It is God’s law that says we must die, yet it is God Who provided the way out.  He sent His Son to be born our Savior.  His laughter and joy fill the heavens when we accept this and surrender our lives to Him.  We do not celebrate Christmas because a cute baby was born.  Many cute babies are born each day.  We celebrate Christmas because our Savior has come.

Father, words cannot express how grateful I am that You sent Your Son to take my place in death.  I was born to die, yet You had already prepared a way for me to live.  Praise be unto You, O God, now and forever!  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.