Sunday, May 22, 2016

Accepting God's Discipline

May 22 (Lamentations 1:18)


“The Lord is in the right, for I have rebelled against his word….”  (ESV)


 It is Israel personified who speaks these words, but ask yourself this.  When was the last time you heard anyone or any organization say something like this?  After detailing various hardships and sufferings come the words, “The Lord is in the right, for I have rebelled against his word”…from the leaders of our country…from the owner of your company…from you.  This is a tough verse, and lest we think this is just Old Testament stern finger wagging, Hebrews 12:6 tells us that God disciplines those He loves. 

If you are anything like me, you avoid suffering at almost any cost and beg God to take away instantly even the smallest of pains.  While it would be a mistake to see every headache and hangnail as discipline from God, we do have to acknowledge when we have sinned against Him.  Children stand in front of the broken cookie jar and say, “It wasn’t me!”  Grownups take responsibility for their actions.

Is there something for which you need to take responsibility?  Do you need to own up and say, “That one is on me?”  It may be a relationship that you need to make right.  It may something in your team or organization that you need to correct.  Whatever it is, we need to be mature in our walk with the Lord, accept His discipline, and, simply put, do better.


Father, show me where I am not living the way You want.  Whether it is with my family, in my work, or in my private life, I want to be all that You want me to be.  Show me where I fall short and any place where I am rebelling against You so that I may repent and, with the strength of Jesus, go the right way.  In His name I pray.  Amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.