Sunday, May 1, 2016

Using Scripture To Hear God

May 1 (Luke 4:3-4)


The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread.” And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone.’”  (ESV)


It is true that God speaks through burning bushes and whispers and that we need to be attentive to any moment when He is trying to get our attention.  At the same time, we must be careful that what we are hearing is actually the word of God and not merely human ideas or, worse yet, a suggestion from Satan cloaking itself to seem like something God would say.

How we know what we know changes depending on the subject.  I know my children love me through personal experience, but I know that in geometry alternate interior angles are equal when two parallel lines are cut by a transversal because my teacher told me so.  When it comes to confirming that a word indeed comes from God, we do what Jesus did.  We use Scripture.  The Bible is our authority, and if we sense that God is telling us something that runs counter to it, we can be sure of one thing.  We are wrong.

How well do you know the people, the events, and the teachings of the Bible?  How much time do you spend reading it?  Do you see the events of your life and all that is going on in the world around you through the lens of Scripture?  Simply put, Jesus did.

Thank You, Lord, for giving us Your word, the Bible.  Reveal to me its truths and help me to understand it so I can use it as the foundation for how I go about my day.  In all things may I be faithful to the one it reveals, even You, my Lord and my God.  Through Jesus I pray, amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.