Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 23 (1 John 2:1)

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  (ESV)

When I am in particular moods, there are just certain songs I want to hear.  I have listened to them countless times, but I go back to them, knowing what they will say and wanting to hear them again.  When I need to be reminded of the love and forgiveness of God, I go to the book of 1 John.  In fact, I was out for a walk recently, and just the thought of this epistle brought a smile to my face.

I try not to sin.  I really do.  Yet the pressures of life in this world and my human weakness constantly conspire and the next you know, there I am in the soup again.  This verse is a great reminder of two things.  We should not sin, but if we do, we have a friend who will defend us.

My wife and I are on the same page when it comes to parenting and we back each other’s plays with the children.  Sometimes, though, I am able to come to our son’s defense because I remember what it was like to be a boy.  Jesus knows what it is like to be human.  He was one and He can plead our case as no one else before our Father.


Jesus, You know how much I think I can do everything, but You also know what a joke that is.  You know I am weak.  Defend me, Lord, and lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.