Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 30 (Matthew 27:46)

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  (ESV)

There are many reasons why we sometimes feel that God has forsaken us, and Jesus experienced them all.  Physical pain and suffering?  Jesus felt that on the cross.  Everybody turning against you?  Jesus felt that on the cross.  A burden of sin?  Jesus felt that on the cross.

We all feel separated from God.  Jesus experienced that separation, and it was painful.  In the moment, it is one the darkest of all sensations.  Faith comes in by allowing us to get through that moment to the truth, which is that God never leaves or forsakes us.  Exercising faith in those moments is an act of great effort and may seem impossible.  We have to cry out to a God we believe has forsaken us just to have the faith to believe that He has not forsaken us.  Welcome to the Christian life.

Do not feel bad when such crazy times come.  Jesus experienced exactly what you are going through, and He came out on the other side, glorious and whole.  He has promised the same for you.

Jesus, I cling to You even when I think that God does not love me.  I cling to You especially when I think that God does not love me.  You are the rock of my salvation.  I am holding on to You for dear life.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.