Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16 (Jeremiah 10:10a)

But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king.  (KJV)

Studies show that some people leave the Christian faith because of its exclusivity.  We live in a world that values all things, even when they are contradictory, and we are told to be tolerant of everything.  Churches that preach that the God of Christianity is the only God seem out of step with contemporary culture.

This is nothing new.  Those who follow God have always been out of step with their culture.  Ask the Jews in Babylon.  Ask the Christians in ancient Rome.  Ask the Coptic Christians in Egypt today.  That there is only one true God, revealed fully in Jesus Christ, is not something a fundamentalist church made up.  It is what the Bible teaches and Christians for two thousand years have acknowledged.

What is it about the Christian faith that is most uncomfortable to you?  Is it the mysterious nature of the Trinity, or the call to love your enemies?  Is it that there is only one true God, or that we must give our time and money to serve the poor?  Our faith will always be at odds with the world around us.  The call of Christ is a difficult one, but when you stop to think about it, would you want to follow anyone else?

O  Lord, help me to be strong in living out Your calling of me.  May I be a light to others, so that they may see Your truth.  May nothing about You be a stumbling block for me, but may I always be willing to follow You, even unto death.  In the name of my Savior Jesus, Who did just that for me, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.