Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 23 (Mark 12:30)


And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.  (KJV)

Last week we looked at the exclusive nature of God, that there is only one God, and He has fully revealed Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Should it come as any surprise that the one and only God wants all of us?

The people and organizations in our lives know that they must share us with others.  I want to give as much of myself as I can to my family, but during the hours of the workday, I am not giving directly to them.  They may benefit from my salary, but my boss has the right to claim my attention during those hours.  The same goes with the time I spend with friends, other relatives, and at the store talking with the clerk.  My time and attention are divided.

God says that when it comes to a relationship with Him, there can be no such divisions.  We are giving Him our heart, soul, mind, and strength in every circumstance.  He does not just get our attention during worship at church or during our private devotional time.  When I am working for my boss, I must do so in ways that please God.  When I am with friends and family, I am not away from God.  He wants all of me, and He wants me all of the time.

O Lord, forgive me for the times when I treat You as if You were merely another person in my life, one to whom I will give my attention when I can get around to it.  I want You to be my all in all.  Help me to give my all to You in everything that I do, say, and think.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.