Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3 (Jeremiah 23:1)

Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD. (KJV)

When we hear of a church scandal or the sinful actions of a church leader, it is tempting to want a return to a purer time, when the faith was new and the Church was young.  Unfortunately, such a pristine state never existed.  Even in the days of Jeremiah, there were pastors who did more harm than good, and when you think about it, this makes perfect sense.

God works through human beings.  He built His Church on Peter, a man who denied he even knew Jesus.  It is foolish to think that those who serve God are perfect.  They are not.  They face the same temptations as the rest of us and, thanks to our shared sin nature, they will at times yield to that sin.

Claiming that the sin of a church leader is keeping a person from the Christian faith or being part of a church is a copout.  It is also being hypocritical, for why should we demand those around us to be perfect when we fall short ourselves?  We must always judge the Church and the Christian faith from the perfect standard of Christ and His word.  Our obedience must be to Him, no matter how much His servants may let us down.

Lord, may I never be an obstacle to anyone enjoying Your grace by my sinful actions.  Likewise, may I never doubt You because of the actions of another. In the name of my perfect Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.