Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30 (Luke 9:62)

And Jesus said unto him, “No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”  (KJV)

There is only one God, Who has revealed Himself as Trinity.  This one God wants all of us…our thoughts, our words, and our deeds.  In the verse for day, we see that He wants us all the time.

Perseverance can be one of the most challenging aspects of being a Christian.  We think of Lot’s wife, who looked back at their home, despite being told not to do so.  We think of those disciples who followed Jesus only until His teachings became too hard for them (see John 6).  If you are reading this devotion, then you have put your hand to the plough to serve in the Kingdom of God and to follow Jesus.  What causes you to look back?  Is it fear or worry?  Are there temptations that are too enjoyable to give up?  Is it sickness, exhaustion, or just the daily grind?

God has not called us to a life that we cannot live.  If there are things that distract us from Him, He already knows what they are.  Ask Him to reveal those things to you so you can then surrender them to Him.  He will make you fit to the task of the persevering life in Christ.

Lord, I have such good intentions.  I want to do this or that for You, only to find myself distracted or falling back into old habits.  Help me to see nothing but You, Lord.  Give me the strength to live all of my life, every day, only for You.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, Who persevered for my salvation all the way to Calvary, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.