Sunday, October 9, 2011

October 9 (2 Timothy 1:7)

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.  (KJV)

Scripture tells us to fear God and that such fear is the beginning of wisdom (Psalm 111:10).  Yet worldly fears are crippling.  They usually start by believing a lie, such as that we are not good enough or that no one loves us.  From there the fear builds, and like a spreading vine, it begins to choke off life.  It leads to ever greater degrees of control as we seek protect ourselves from what we fear.  If left unchecked, it can produce death.

I know.  Not long ago, certain fears had begun to choke the life out of me.  Praise be to God, when I took those fears to Him, He showed me their roots, and when I laid those roots before Him, He took them away.  He freed me of fear and restored to me a spirit of power, love, and a sound mine, enabling me to see things clearly and as they really are.

What is it that troubles your soul?  Would you not like to be free of it?  Our Lord promises that a fearful spirit does not come from Him.  Lay before Him your worries and let Him restore you to peace by His grace.

O Lord, I could sing of Your love forever!  Truly, Your grace is amazing, and I thank You for restoring my soul.  Give me the strength in my weakness not to rely on my own strength, which is nothing but weakness, but to lean on Your strength, and so be truly strong.  In the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.